Thursday, July 16, 2009

The worst news of my life....

Two weekends ago I decided to go for a visit down to my family in Massachusetts. I enjoy it up here in Maine, I have work up here, school, internship, friends, and there is always something to do. However, I still do miss my hometown. So, I decided to take a weekend off and venture down the good ol' Maine Turnkpike and go see the family.

I walked in to the house, and suddenly realized something was not right. It was a Friday night and my whole family was watching a Law and Order episode and about to pass out. Usually I come home and everyone is doing something. Dad is fixing something in the garage, brother is sitting alongside him trying to help, and mom is either cooking dinner or cleaning up the house. Something was not right. I sat down in the only empty cushion left on the couch and asked what was wrong. I was not expecting the news I got.

Holding back tears my mom mumbled out that she has been diagnosed with advanced small cell lung cancer. It has also spread to her liver and possibly her back. I immediately, went into shock. She is 51 years old, how could she have lung cancer? Well, folks, as sad as it is, that is what smoking does to you. Up until 3 weeks ago my mom smoked 8-10 cigarettes every day. That was the sole cause of this horrid disease. So, after I talked to her for a while about how she feels, what the next step is, and what the prognosis is I immediately began my research. For that whole entire weekend I read and read and read on this type of lung cancer, what exactly is it, what are the best treatments, what are the side effects, etc. That was my way of coping with it. Along with spending time with her, I wanted to become as knowledgeable about the subject as possible.

My mom begins chemotherapy tomorrow. She went from working 40+ hours a week as a senior accountant, a superb chef for the family at night, and the hardest worker you could imagine to a women struggling to stay awake and even have the energy to get up and go the bathroom.

I love her with all my heart and I am staying positive with this whole situation. She is on my mind now 24/7, that is all I cant think about. I have had to make some drastic changes in my life. As many of you know I love football, and play at the semi-professional level. As of right now, I have postponed my time on the gridiron to spend more time with my mom. Football will always be there, my mom wont be. I have to take care of her before I can lace up the cleats again. I now drive down to MA three times a week to stay with my mom and the rest of my family. I pray every single night that she will beat this cancer and be able to get back to doing what she use to do, being the best mom in the world. I don't know what my future will bring with all of this, but as you can imagine it has caused a lot of stress in my life right now. I just pray she will get past this and be a cancer survivor.

Love you Mom! Stay Strong!

Big D.

No comments:

Post a Comment