Friday, July 10, 2009

This just might be the best workout you have ever done.

When was the last time you seriously had your ass handed to you in the gym. I mean, not just going in, doing your routine, and running home for the sox game! I mean, you had to practically crawl home the workout was so good. Yes, for some, its been a while, for most, they have never had a workout that hard.  

What I am talking about is the Tabata workout. This workout is one the most high intensity workouts you will ever do. It is good because it is short, 4 minutes. However, you will feel like you just ran the Boston Marathon after. Also, you can do it with cardio, weights, or both!

The Tabata Protocol was created by Izumi Tabata.  I recently took part in a tabata workout, and man, I have never had a workout so good, in such a short amount of time. I was dead, on the floor, crying for mommy, in less than 8 minutes. 

The tabata consits of a series of intervals with 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off. You do that for as long as you can. I guarantee you wont even hit the ten minute mark before you drop.

You can do that with cardio. Simply, jump on your favorite piece of cardio equipment. Do a two minute warm-up then bust ass as hard as you can, full out sprint, for twenty seconds.  Go back to a light job for 10 seconds, then immediately back to the sprint for 20 seconds. So, one round should take 30 seconds. Try to last 4 minutes. You will be begging to stop!

You can also do it with weights, which is what I did.  Pick 8 exercises, 4 upper body, and 4 lower body.  Start at the first exercise and do it for 20 seconds, then the 10 second break immediately starts ticking. Get ready to do the next exercise, when the 10 seconds are up, go right into the next exercise.  Bust that out for 20 seconds to your absolute max, take the 10 second rest and continue on with the rest of the exercises in that same pattern.  Don't come crying to me if you are a little sore the next day.  Like I mentioned, you can also mix up cardio and weights to hit every corner.  

I do have a little medical disclaimer to add. Although on paper this sounds pretty easy, trust me, it is not for the beginner. You should be at an advanced fitness level before you begin this. 

So, everyone spends 5 minutes drinking their coffee in the morning, or laying on the couch. I never want to hear that excuse someone doesn't have the time to workout. Everyone has five minutes to workout, and if you only have 5 minutes, this is the workout to do. 

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend, especially since the weather is starting to look pretty good. I will be back on Monday. 

Finally, I would like to wish my dad a happy 63rd birthday tomorrow.  

Happy Birthday Dad!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Big D 

1 comment:

  1. Two years ago I did a tabata training twice a week and one of my online fitness friends gave me a music file they made specifically for the 20/10 intervals. I also found that getting a gymboss helps a lot, considering you can get it to beep or buss and set up sets of timed intervals such as 20/10 for tabata for even highers times for H.I.I.T., plus there only $20.

    ReplyDelete