Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Raman Noodles, Pizza, and Pop-Tarts!

Yes, you guessed it. That is the typical college kid diet. They wake up two minutes before class, grab a package of Pop-Tarts and mosey on in to class. Then they go back to there dorm take a nap, wake up and make themselves a cup of Ramen Noodles. If they are feeling energetic they will head to the cafe and grab something half way decent, however, ordering from the local pizza joint is a more common choice.

However, that is not the only options you have. I have been in a college dorm for three years. With nothing more then a microwave, refrigerator, George Foremen grill, and a magic bullet in my 5ftX8ft room I have managed to maintain a very well balanced diet. Here is how I do it and some tips for you whether you are a college kid yourself or just on the road traveling or working.

For breakfast you have a few options. In my opinion the best option is eggs. The best and most convenient way is raw. Yeah, that's right, I said it, RAW. Simply pour 4-6 eggs into a shaker bottle, mix it with milk and a scoop or two of your favorite protein powder and you have a delicious shake you can take anywhere. Now if your not feeling the whole raw thing, scrambled is another option. Yes, you can scramble eggs in a microwave. Mix up the eggs in a microwave safe bowl, add some milk, and stick in the microwave for 2-5 minutes depending on how many eggs you are cooking. The third option is oatmeal. Oatmeal takes two minutes to make and is one of the best things you can have for breakfast. Add some water or milk to your oatmeal and stick it in the microwave for two minutes.

For a mid morning snack you have a few options. I usually choose a piece of fruit like a banana, and 2 scoops of your favorite protein shake. You can also add or replace, depending on your calories needs a handful of almonds.

Lunch and dinner, I find to be the toughest. Being on the go whether I am at internship, work, or getting ready to drive to football practice, I have to make sure I get in my calories at these meals. Depending on your goals, you can adjust how much carbs, protein, and fat are in each of these meals. If you are trying to cut weight I suggest you cut down your carbohydrate intake to little or none at dinner time unless you have your workout around that time. Keeping carbohydrates low will keep the weight off. As far as what to do, well here is what I do. Usually on Sunday night I plug my George Foremen in. I cook enough chicken or other lean meat that will last me the entire week. I individually wrap them in tinfoil and refrigerate. Also, I will make small wraps that are very portable. I take a leaf of romaine lettuce, some lean turkey meal and some cheese, and wrap it up all together. I put them in small sand which bags and refrigerate them until I need them. Also, to get your good fatty oils, you can do the same thing with tuna fish.

For a night time snack, you cant beat cottage cheese. Every night, like pregnant women look forward to their ice cream, I look forward to my cottage cheese. I sit at my desk, recap what I did that day, plan what I have in store for the next day, and enjoy my cottage cheese.

Obviously, that isn't a full meal plan, but that should get you started in the right direction. Other essential like fruits and vegetables are easily bought, stored, and carried around so I can count on you to figure out a way to get your other fruits and veggies in.

A big problem with college kids or people who are on the road traveling or working is the use of protein bars. Yes, there are some good protein bars out there, but most of them are crap. Also, even the best of them are loaded with sugars and carbohydrates. So, if you don't have them at the right time, they can do more harm then good to your diet and physique. So, they are better then having nothing, but try to stay away from the protein bars.

I hope this helps and is a little kick start to get your diet and check and don't make excuses whether you are a college student or traveling worker. The freshmen fifteen is no more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment