Thursday, February 24, 2011

GTL??? No, how about GHR...

No, we're not talking Jersey Shore, but I bet I got your attention. Instead of GTL, I want you to try GHR. This stands for Glute Ham Raise. This is in my opinion one of the best exercises for the posterior chain, which includes the lower back, glutes, hamstrings, and calves.






The above is how it is done on a GHR machine. I am going to warn you, this is a challenging exercise and you will experience cramps in the back of the leg the first few times you do it. However, it is simply one of the best exercises at developing the posterior chain.

The first time you try it I recommend you try it this way:





By doing it this way, you have more control over the motion. You lower down real slow, while your partner pushes on your ankles. If you don't have enough strength, you can move your hands out and "fall" into a push-up position. Then, push yourself back up. Ideally, you are able to lower controlled and move back up without use of the arms.

After you are able to do the GHR on the floor, then you can use the GHR machine. So, I strongly encourage you next time your getting your G on as part of your GTL (gym, tanning, and laundry for those who don't follow Jersey Shore), give this exercise a go. You might be walking a little funny that next day, but that's okay.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Best,

Doug Spurling, CSCS, NSCA-CPT

No comments:

Post a Comment