Friday, August 7, 2009

A little fun!

Thursday, I took a day off of my crazy schedule and truly realized what it is like to be a kid again.  Between work, school, internship, and family matters I have not had much free time this summer. Working over 40 hours a week at internship plus full-time work at my local gym has put a strain on me. That is not to mention the stress of summer classes and dealing with the recent news that my mom now has cancer. 

So, some gracious members at my gym took time out of there busy work schedules and took me up to Little Ossipie Lake. While there, we attempted to try and get me up on water ski's. Lets just say getting a solid 270+ pounds out of the water is not easy. I tried a few dozen times and was unsuccessful.  I blame part of that on my over dominant quads and weak adductors. I blame the other half on having to squeeze my Godzilla size feet into the water skis not made for people with size 16 feet. Those two things combined with not the most powerful boat on the lake made for a lot of good laughs. I must of face planted about 20 times.  Regardless, it was a great time!

However, they didn't let me go home without getting a little water sport adventure. After the unsuccessful attempts at water skiing they convinced me to lay my 6'6" frame across a 3 foot round tube and pull me going 40+ MPH. Holding on for dear life, screaming words I would never say in public, I managed to hang on for a few good pulls. 

We ended this awesome day with a delicious dinner. As I chowed down on some excellent salmon, haddock, chicken, and tossed salad we enjoyed some good laughs thanks to my expert water skiing skills. Following dinner, we continued on with the laughs bringing it out onto the boat for a nice moon light cruise around the lake.

So, you might ask yourself, what does this have to do with fitness or exercise. Well, really, nothing. Oh, wait, did I mention the next morning I nearly crawled out of bed and could barely stand in the shower I was so sore. Although I am a exercise fanatic and experienced weight lifting I have never put my muscles through that type of stress. That caused me to scream like a little girl until I could plant my glutes on a foam roller and try to relieve some of the soreness. Still as I sit on a stability ball in front of my computer I struggle to lift my legs high enough to take step. 

The best part about the day was it was stress free. For one time this summer I wasn't worried about an up coming test, what exercise to use for a client, how to plan my next sports conditioning class, or if my mom will be okay. If it wasn't for this day, I would have gone all summer working 7 days a week worrying about nothing but school, work, and my internship. However, for one day, I could enjoy myself and finally feel like a kid again. Although is was only for one day, that made my summer. I am a hard worker and always will be. I cannot sit around and watch TV. However, sometimes I know I over work myself.  I don't get too many times to enjoy what its like being a 20 year old college kid. This was one of those experiences I will never forget. The best part is,  I was the youngest person there and the second youngest was old enough to be my mother. It shows you, age is just a number. I felt like I was partying with a bunch of college kids, but really they are all full-time working moms, dads, husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, and overall AWESOME people. 

So, I want to end with a HUGE thank you.  Thank you to Wayne, Kelly, "T.", Tori, Russ, and Tom for putting up with me and taking the time out of your busy schedules simply for my enjoyment. Thank you! 


I hope everyone enjoys this nice weather, and has a wonderful weekend.

Best,

Big D.

djs1232@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment