Monday, April 5, 2010

My apologies

To my followers,

I just want to send out a big apology for my lack of posts these past few months. With my football training fully underway, preparing to graduate in a few months, and work, free time for me minimal. As the summer nears, I hope to have a little more time to communicate and share my information with you guys.

Here is a quick little something on one of the most underrated exercises:

I will be honest with you, when I first heard about the kettlebell becoming more and more popular I thought it was bullshit. Although, the kettlebell has been around for hundreds of years, it is now becoming more and more popular. There are thousands of exercises you can do with a kettlebell.

The kettlebell swing is easily one of the most underrated exercises ever. As an athlete it is my goal to develop as much power as possible. Power is equal to strength times speed. The kettlebell swing combines all of those into one explosive movement that cannot be mimicked by doing anything else. The power that is created in the hips and lower body is unlike no other exercise. After adding the kettlebell swing to my program a year or so ago I noticed a huge increase in hip strength, lower body strength, and overall explosiveness.

The problem that people run into with this exercise is that 99% of the people out there perform it wrong. Your arms should not be picking the bell up. Your arms should be relaxed. All of the power from this exercise is created from the hips being driven back slowly and then explosively thrusted forward. You should drive the weight through your heels and fully extend the body, standing tall at the top of the movement.

In my opinion, athlete or not, the kettlebell swing should be an integral part of your exercise program.


If you guys ever have any question on anything please feel free to e-mail me at any time. I am also always open to blog topic ideas.

Best,

Doug Spurling, NSCA-CPT
dspurling@une.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment